Valentines Day feels like the quaintest, most old fashioned of the public holidays we still enjoy in the United States. Granted, much of what’s old fashioned about it has been smoothed out by the hot irons of commercialism and political correctness. If someone brings one card to school he must bring enough for every classmate (and the teachers to boot). And generally speaking the holiday has more to do with chocolate than with actual romance.
Men: Here’s How to Express your Love without Losing your Masculinity
But romance is a real thing and it’s really worth celebrating.
And Valentines Day seems like a good opportunity to reflect on how a man who wants to love the other gender can do a better job of that without forfeiting his masculinity.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her. - Ephesians 5:25
Men: Here are 8 Ways to Love Your Valentine
And, in the spirit of celebrating the spirit of Valentine's Day, we offer these tips for men who love women.
1. Men who love women are respectfully considerate of the ways in which women are different. Loving women means taking frank stock of the ways in which they are different and honoring those differences.
2. Men who love women work hard at being good men.They work to be competent and capable, to be fit and active, and to have the sort of character that makes their physicality and ability a blessing to women and not a cause for discomfort.
Many claim to have unfailing love, but a faithful person who can find? The righteous lead blameless lives; blessed are their children after them." - Proverbs 20:6-7
3. Men who love women reject pornography. If you are a man who loves women there can be no room for pornography in your life.
4. Men who love women expect a lot of women. Love without admiration is really just a fond contempt. And if a man admires women let it be because they are resilient, sacrificial, intuitive, capable, diligent, relational, and strong with the fierce strength of mothers made indomitable by love. Let a man admire women because they bear the image of God with grace and mystery. And if a man’s love for women is full of admiration let his regard for women be full of expectation.
5. Men who love women offer to lead. And they are especially willing to make that offer when the leadership is going to be most costly and thankless. But they are careful to offer and not to insist.
6. Men who love women are emphatically faithful and monogamous in relationship. Men love all women best when they love one woman exclusively.
7. Men who love women accept the leadership of women. Not only that, they follow in such a way as to make the woman leading feel honored for her leadership.
8. Men who love women do things like walk on the side of traffic. They express their love of women with the little gestures of deference and protection that still possess some charm for those who prefer not to take offense.They make these gestures with no aim of being petted for having done so and being careful not to take umbrage when the gesture is rejected.
What are some other things you think are true of the man who loves women? Comment below and let us know!
Written by: Joel Tate
Furnace Brook Wesleyan Church Blog